What is gender-neutral skincare?
Gender-neutral skincare refers to skincare products and routines that are designed to be suitable for people of any gender identity. Rather than targeting a specific gender, these products and routines are meant to be inclusive and accessible to everyone, regardless of how they identify.
This approach to skincare recognises that the differences between men’s and women’s skin are often overstated, and that people of all genders can benefit from similar skincare products and routines. Gender neutral skincare typically focuses on ingredients and formulations that are effective for a range of skin types and concerns, without relying on gender-based marketing or stereotyping.
Gender neutral skincare products may include cleansers, toners, moisturisers, sunscreens, and other skincare essentials, as well as specialised treatments for specific skin concerns.
Why are we exploring gender-neutral skincare now?
Well, February is LGBT History Month – an annual celebration founded in 2004 designed to raise awareness of people’s diversity, combat prejudice, and show support for the growing LGBTQ community.
And, like many industries, the skincare and cosmetic markets are quickly adapting to meet the needs of the gender-neutral consumer, and we’re excited to explore the movement…
So, what’s in it for brands? The rise in gender-neutral skincare…
The gender-neutral skincare market has seen significant growth in recent years as more people have become interested in inclusive and accessible skincare products. Here are some statistics that highlight this trend:
- The global gender-neutral skincare market is expected to reach $22.3 billion by 2027, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% from 2020 to 2027. (Source: Allied Market Research)
- In a survey of over 1,000 U.S. adults conducted in 2019, 56% of respondents said they were interested in gender-neutral beauty products. (Source: A.T. Kearney)
- In the same survey, 65% of respondents said they were willing to pay more for gender-neutral beauty products, and 70% said they believed that gendered beauty products were unnecessary. (Source: A.T. Kearney)
- Some major skincare brands have launched gender-neutral product lines in recent years, including Kiehl’s, Aesop, and Dermalogica.
Overall, the gender-neutral skincare market is a growing and promising segment of the beauty industry, driven by changing attitudes and a desire for more inclusive and accessible products.
Essential oil ingredients for formulating gender-neutral skincare
Gender-neutral skincare is rooted in the idea that skin care products do not need to be tailored to a specific gender. Instead, the focus should be on the natural oil ingredients used to formulate each product and how they benefit the skin, regardless of gender. This includes using natural and organic ingredients, using fewer and milder chemicals, and creating a more inclusive product range.
Here’s a couple of O&3 products to use as part of your gender-neutral skincare formulations:
- Rose Absolute Infused in Grapeseed Oil (5%) Organic is an infusion of Rose Absolute in Grapeseed Oil to give you a cost effective, beautiful smelling absolute oil. Rose Absolute is an intense aromatic oil, so infusing it in Grapeseed oil gives you a beautiful, subtle aromatic carrier oil.Grapeseed Oil is rich in linoleic acid, which helps to regulate sebum production and keep the skin moisturized, whilst Rose Oil is high in vitamin A and essential fatty acids, helping to promote cell regeneration and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Indian Sandalwood Essential Oil offers an aroma that is warm and creamy – reminiscence of wood, amber and leather – considered desirable fragrances for everyone, regardless of how they identify.
With antimicrobial properties to help to fight bacteria, coupled with hydrating and anti-aging benefits, Indian Sandalwood is sure to leave skin feeling soft and smooth.
O&S’s final thoughts…
In addition to gender-neutral skincare, there has been a growing trend towards inclusive beauty more broadly, with brands offering products for a wider range of skin tones and types, as well as for people with disabilities and other traditionally marginalised groups.
Overall, we believe the rise in gender-neutral skincare is a positive development for the skincare industry, and society as a whole.
It’s certainly a step towards a more inclusive industry, one that is more socially conscious and environmentally friendly. By creating gender-neutral skincare products, brands can provide more accessible and diverse solutions for everyone.
At O&3 we can help you formulate new and exciting beauty products aligned specific to audiences you want to target.
We have an innovative and expansive portfolio of natural oils and natural oil-based ingredients, each with the accompanying certifications and accreditations.
And, with over 40 years of oil industry experience, you can draw on our extensive knowledge to develop your next line of products. Let us help you create products that smell great, function fantastically and make your customers fall in love with your brand over, and over again.